Thursday, April 14, 2011


I don’t care all that much about the culture of the Montagnards. I see it this way: We live in a world dominated by a global culture, fostered by a global tribe, which has come into being through the interconnectivity of the information age. Within this overarching culture, there are millions, if not billions of tribes, small (or large) subcultures which we subscribe to and participate in. We all subscribe to multiple tribes, and each one of us has a different combination of cultures, making all of us individual, making all of us a tribe within ourselves. It’s beautiful, and I think it’s the inevitable arc of evolution. Hard to have a sense of individuality when you and everyone you know eats the same things, talks the same way, listens to the same music, dances the same dances, hunts just like you do on the same days. The revolutionary inventions of the industrial age have made it possible for people to do more in their life than just survive, and in a way it’s made us all royalty. We’re still pretty new to it, and we’re still just figuring out what it means to be safe, so we do some petty things, and we do some great things with the time and ability we have on our hands.


I’m not sure what I need to know in order to make this work. I’m not even sure what this is yet.


But I’m sure it’ll come to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment